- is a national Charitable Foundation
- leads the way in the planning and developing of affordable housing for senior and disadvantaged members of Canada’s professional arts community, now and in the future
- provides support, and ensures the well-being of senior and disadvantaged members and associates of Canada’s professional arts community, now and in the future
- promotes and supports a volunteer outreach program called “Supporting Cast”, which provides support, assistance, and companionship to individual artists in need
PAL Canada Foundation is the national “umbrella” organization that represents and supports 8 individual PAL chapters across the country, including Halifax, Ottawa, Toronto, Stratford, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Each PAL chapter has its own unique requirements, which are defined by the needs of their local community of professional and performing artists (and individuals from allied industries). Depending on the chapter, the focus may be to provide and sustain quality affordable housing for seniors and/or challenged individuals within their professional and performing arts community. Alternatively, some chapters may not require accommodations, but do need support for their members.
The root and heart of the philosophy of PAL Canada, Supporting Cast is a group of volunteers who offer personal assistance to PAL members so that they can continue to lead meaningful, independent lives in their own homes. These services may include: assistance in dealing with community agencies and health care providers, rides to medical appointments, running errands and light housekeeping. Volunteers may offer companionship and a friendly sympathetic ear, but also serve to check in with members who are on their own. Depending on the chapter, they may also organize weekly or monthly group activities that allow solitary members to get together with their peers. Establishing a Supporting Cast type of organization is usually the first step in founding a PAL Chapter and exemplifies, in practical terms, the PAL motto: "Caring for Professional Artists”
How to determine if your area needs a PAL chapter:
• You live in a growing community of professional and performing artists (and individuals from allied industries) who are aging or disabled.
• Your community requires support in the form of Supporting Cast, and/or
• Your community requires support in the form of affordable housing If you believe that your area needs a PAL chapter, please contact PAL Canada at: email@example.com. Let us help you get started.
Under The Distinguished Patronage of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.Q., C.D. Governor General of Canada
©2017 PAL Canada Foundation. All Rights Reserved.