“We create caring communities and support programs, which allow senior members of Canada’s arts and entertainment industry to thrive.”
"To enable senior members of Canada’s arts and entertainment community to thrive”.
"Check in and Chat"
During these unprecedented times of Covid-19, our elders are being isolated at an alarming rate. PAL Canada wants to alleviate this isolation through our Check in and Chat program.
Please click HERE to learn more.
“In a business where insecurity follows like a shadow throughout your career, old age promises nothing more than poverty line living at best. PAL Toronto was an idea whose time had come.”
Roy Wordsworth, Founding President
PAL CANADA FOUNDATION
- is a national Charitable Foundation
- works to alleviate the consequences of poverty, isolation and housing challenges among elder members of Canada's arts and entertainment community
- leads the way in the planning and developing of affordable housing for elder and disadvantaged members of Canada’s professional arts community, now and in the future
- provides support, and ensures the well-being of elder and disadvantaged members and associates of Canada’s professional arts community, now and in the future
- promotes and supports a volunteer outreach program called “Supporting Cast”, which provides support, assistance, and companionship to individual artists in need
- Awarded the Humanitarian Award at the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards
PAL Canada Foundation is the national “umbrella” organization that represents and supports 7 individual PAL chapters across the country, including Halifax, Ottawa, Toronto, Stratford, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Vancouver. Each PAL chapter has its own unique requirements, which are defined by the needs of their local community of professional and performing artists (and individuals from allied industries). Depending on the chapter, the focus may be to provide and sustain quality affordable housing for elders and/or challenged individuals within their professional and performing arts community. Alternatively, some chapters may not require accommodations, but do need support for their members.
The root and heart of the philosophy of PAL Canada, Supporting Cast is a group of volunteers who offer personal assistance to elder PAL members so that they can continue to lead meaningful, independent lives in their own homes. These services may include: assistance in dealing with community agencies and health care providers, rides to medical appointments, running errands and light housekeeping. Volunteers may offer companionship and a friendly sympathetic ear, but also serve to "Check in and Chat" with members who are on their own. Depending on the chapter, they may also organize weekly or monthly group activities that allow solitary members to get together with their peers. Establishing a Supporting Cast type of organization is usually the first step in founding a PAL Chapter and exemplifies, in practical terms, the PAL motto: "Caring for Professional Artists”
Sign up for our Mailing List
PAL Canada is endorsed and supported by the following founding member organizations. The Alliance of Canadian Cinema Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA), Canadian Federation of Musicians, Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) and The Actor's Fund of Canada (AFC).